There are thousands of businesses that you can start from the comfort of your own home, everyone knows that. But, starting a cake business from home is something different and I’m going to tell you why and how to do just this.
It is true, cake decorating does require a little practice and some experience. Fortunately, that is something you can gain with very little cash. A cake business requires supplies that you may already have lying around your kitchen. If you already feel you are adept at this activity then you are off to the right start. And on top of that, starting a cake business from home just might be the perfect opportunity for someone like you!
Like any business, there are major advantages and disadvantages. The top five advantages to starting a cake business from home are as follows:
1. You can run this business from home and do not require separate quarters to do so. If you feel in the future you need more space for your growing venture, then by all means upgrade!
2. A cake business is fun! Most people need cakes for special days or events so what better way to make someone smile and also earn a little extra income while you are at it?
3. Your cake business will allow flexibility in your schedule. You can decide when and how many orders to take. You don’t have to ask for vacation days off and you can spend time with your kids or family anytime you like.
4. Low startup costs! Since you don’t have to rent some space, then rent can be taken off the budget list. Also, cake supplies are relatively cheap and definitely easy to come by. And as your business grows, so can your supplies and equipment.
5. High mark-up for cakes. Since cakes are easy to make, you can price them according to what you feel they are worth. Your prices don’t have to be set in stone! Some are worth more than others but either way; you are going to make a nice profit!
This is not to deter you but to make you aware of some of the things you need to keep in mind before starting a cake business from home. On the other hand, you are going to have some disadvantages and they may vary from person to person but they are as follows:
1. You might have to sacrifice time from other activities to get the job done. You will find that certain orders have to be completed at certain times. Time management will be your greatest ally!
2. Most events are scheduled for weekends when people are off work. So, you will need to be sure that you have this time available to deliver cakes or be available for pick-ups.
3. Depending on the size of your kitchen, you may…