Anyone, who has ever tried to find the right remodeling or landscape contractors, already knows how difficult
it can be. Searching, comparing and finally choosing the right contractor for your home project is crucial for the success and enjoyment of your new home addition, whatever it may be.
You definitely want to work with contractors who have a history and are willing to share this information with you. References and photos are a good place to start.
The following seven points will help you choose the right contractor:
1) Did the company respond to your initial contact promptly?
2) Were they on time for their appointment with you? Or call if running late?
3) Were they presentable for the appointment? Keep in mind, a painting contractor who shows up with paint on their hands and clothes is not necessarily a bad thing. While on the other hand, someone showing up for the job, gets out of their vehicle and a beer bottle falls out of the vehicle, you might want to let them know the job is no longer available. Seriously…this has happened to me.
4) Did they listen to you? Or did they spend the whole time talking about themselves?
5) Did they offer helpful advice? It is good to have another set of eyes to point out issues you might have overlooked.
6) Did they get a bid back to you in a reasonable amount of time?
7) Was the bid itemized and presented in such a way that you could compare it against all other bids received?
It is always a good idea to have two or three companies bid on your project.
The following websites are also useful in choosing the right contractors for your home addition and remodeling projects:
Contractors License Reference Site: http://www.contractors-license.org
The Better Business: Bureau