Spaghetti sauce, pizza, and a lot more of our favorite Italian dishes are made with tomato sauce. It’s a delicious and versatile cooking ingredient that works great with a lot of food recipes. But aside from heartburn, tomato sauce can also leave you with a big headache if it finds its way onto your carpet.
Food spills are not all that uncommon so tomato sauce will find its way onto your carpet more often than you will like. But you don’t need to worry though, as it is not something that is impossible to remove from your carpet. To help you remove this tangy red sauce from your carpet, here are some steps that you need to follow.
1. The first thing that you need to do is to pick up any loose food particles that came with the sauce. It could be spaghetti, or any kind of pasta, or even a meat product. Getting up as much of the spill as possible will keep the mess from spreading and ultimately make it easier for you to clean the actual tomato sauce from your carpet.
2. Next, blot the stain using a sponge or clean cloth. This will help remove even more of the sauce from your carpet, leaving you with the bare minimum to clean up.
3. After blotting, apply a carpet cleaning solution to the stain. There are many products to choose from that work great with tomato sauce so you really can’t go wrong. If you want something less expensive or prefer a non-chemical solution, you can use vinegar, as it is also an effective stain remover.
4. Apply a small amount of your chosen cleaning product on the stain and then blot with a clean cloth or towel. Then, rinse with some water. If the stain is not removed, spray it again with a small amount and repeat the steps until the all of the stain is removed.
5. If you choose to use vinegar, combine a teaspoon of it with 1 cup of water in a spray bottle. Then, spray the solution on the stained area and blot with a clean cloth or towel. Repeat these steps until you have removed all of the tomato sauce.
6. When you are finished, thoroughly rinse the area with water and dry it with a shop vac or some fresh towels to remove any cleaning agent residue.
Removing tomato sauce from your carpet doesn’t need to be a difficult task. Just follow these steps and you shouldn’t have any problem getting your carpet looking great again.