Mold removal is essential to keeping a home and the people in it safe, healthy, and comfortable. Mold, mildew, rot, and dust mites can cause serious health issues, including asthma, allergies, eye and respiratory issues, and much more. Mold can also reduce a home’s property value and lead to costly structural damage. Continue reading to learn more about rot and how to control, remove, and prevent mold growth in your home.
Mold Can Be Sneaky and Prevalent
Mold affects indoor air quality, and, unfortunately, can grow very quickly. In fact, mold can begin to grow in a home with humidity over 60% in under 48 hours. Mold can even grow and thrive in cold spaces, such as a refrigerator, as long as the temperature is above 40-degrees Fahrenheit. “Hidden” rot can also secretly grow in fiberglass insulation, and behind wallpaper and drywall. Even though you may not be able to visibly see the rot, it doesn’t mean that it’s not there and causing damage to your home and your health.
Serious Effects of Mold Growth
The presence of mold in a home has many negative effects. People can be exposed to rot through direct skin contact, breathing, or ingestion. Mold exposure can cause a number of health-related issues, including breathing difficulties, asthma and topical skin rash. Black mold is rare but highly-toxic and contains carcinogenic mycotoxins that are linked to certain types of cancer, liver and nervous system damage, and more.
Mold can also cause structural damage and destroy the value of your home– no one wants to buy or move into a home with a serious mold problem!
Mold growth can also seriously impact your wallet for two reasons: 1) if left in-tact, mold will continue to grow and become increasingly expensive to remove; and 2) due to a rising number of rot-related lawsuits, many home insurance companies now exclude mold insurance from homeowner policies.
A simple yet effective way to prevent mold growth is to invest in an energy-efficient dehumidifier. Because mold loves dark, damp, humid spaces, it naturally thrives in basements and crawl spaces. Investing in a dehumidifier can significantly lower your home’s humidity levels, making it impossible for mold to grow or survive.
Professional Mold Removal
Mold can be a scary thing, but fortunately, it’s not something that is impossible to control or remove. Experts know that mold must have two things to survive and thrive: moisture and humidity. A mold removal specialist can visit your home to identify places where mold is growing or has previously grown.
Such specialists can then thoroughly seal your home so that it is fully waterproofed and protected from future mold growth. If necessary and applicable, the mold removal specialist may also wish to install a crawl space vapor barrier system to protect both your home and your health.
If you suspect mold growth in your basement or other areas of your home, contact a mold removal specialist as soon as possible. Remember: a musty-smelling home is an unsafe home. Take the necessary steps to protect your family and your property by investing in mold removal services today!